Thursday, July 24, 2014

Mascaras of the Moment

 
 
Hi again, hope you're all having a lovely day!
 
I'm going on holiday soon so unfortunately I won't be able to post as often for the next couple weeks, but I am going to schedule some posts to go up while I'm away.
 
Today, however, I wanted to talk about the mascaras I've been trying lately. Mascara is one of my favourite makeup products and I'm always getting sucked in to trying new ones, though I often come back to the same tired-and-true favourites.
 



 
My recent lineup of mascaras have all been drugstore and to be honest, I usually stick with drugstore mascara. I think mascara is one of those things that if you find the right one, the cheaper version is just as good as the high end.
 
 
My favourite of the three was Covergirl's Clump Crusher, which I will definitely be repurchasing. When I first bought it, I had my doubts about whether the "clump-defying" claims were actually true, but I was pleasantly surprised once I tried it. It gave loads of volume without clumping. Obviously if you load on the mascara it's going to clump eventually, but you really have to try to make clumps with this product. I found the brush to be a really good size as well. I hate brushes that are too small to do much for your lashes, but big brushes are difficult to use in the inner corner of your eye. I found this brush size to be a happy medium between the two.
 
Probably my favourite thing about this is its "water resistant" formula. Non-waterproof mascara sometimes smudges on me, but I hate trying to get off waterproof formulas at the end of the day. Covergirl's water resistant version stayed on all day despite oily skin/eyelids but came right off at the end of the day. I simply washed some water over my eyes and then took it right off with a face wipe. My only complaint is that I wish it was a teensy bit more lengthening, but to be fair its meant to be more of a thickening mascara then a lengthening one.

 
The Maybelline One by One is my most recent purchase. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. I've had my eye on this mascara for awhile. My friend used it and her eyelashes always looked great so I figured I'd try it out. Unfortunately, I think eyelashes are like hair in that different products work differently for different people. It added decent length, but nothing great. It made my eyelashes look pretty thin and even layering it wouldn't build any volume. I'll probably keep this around for everyday use, just for the sake of using it up, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
 

Last but not least is the L'Oreal Voluminous mascara. I use this a couple years back and loved it. The second time around it's still good, but I think it's been replaced as my favourite. It does build great volume, so if you have thin eyelashes you might want to give this a try! However, it does tend to be a bit clumpy and not very lengthening. The waterproof formula is great for avoiding smudges, but I found it was difficult to get off at the end of the day. I'll probably repurchase this eventually, but most likely only as a backup or everyday mascara. 
 
That's all for today! Let me know if you had different results with any of these mascaras. What's your holy grail mascara, or even just your current favourite?
 
Wishing you a lovely day,
 
- Faith Lorraine


No comments:

Post a Comment